Sports Car Illustrated 1958

Summing up, for the man who wants to drive his car on the street and race it on weekends and still have a chance at the hardware, the Elva Courier will be hard to beat. Admittedly some of the amenities of the full street or boulevard sports car are missing, but to the truly shriven the no-nonsense performance and maneuverability of the Courier will make up for any number of cigarette lighters, ash trays and fancy knobs. SCI 1958

Total Pageviews

Friday, February 25, 2011

Adolescence: 


I had not heard of Elva nor did I remember that my Scaletrix McLaren had a hyphenated name . 


 In High School I lusted after Porsche 924‘s Datsun 280Z’s and Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT’s  even the occasional VW Scirocco - Giugiaro had it right by my standards .


I dreamed of street legal McLaren M6Bs, Lola T310s, Chaparral 2Fs, Ford GT40s and Ferrari P4 s.


 I was enticed by my two sports racing car crazed uncles with race wrecked Lotus 7’s or used up Lotus 23’s without motors , none of them materializing despite my waving 100’s of testosterone fused dollars  in their face.


They forced me to make do with a Ford Custom 500  -  6 cylinder -  three on the tree -  dog dish hub caps.   A car that through my wishing it were not what it was ,  shed clutches at an astonishing rate. 


A full size Ford was not meant to be double clutch down shifted to recover a full 4 wheel drift out of a farmers field.




Noticing the frustrations of youth, car wise, my uncle Mike mentioned that he knew of an Elva Courier behind a barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment